Homeopathic Manufacturing is a natural pharmaceutical science that uses the root extracts of plants, minerals and sometimes animals, in very minute doses to stimulate the body’s natural defense systems to fight a particular illness.
History of Homeopathic Manufacturing Trends
Homeopathy was once a very popular and accepted form of medical treatment in the 19th century. At the turn of the century, history records several homeopathic medical colleges and at least a hundred homeopathic hospitals. In the early 20th century, backed by loud protests from the American Medical Association, homeopathy began to take a back seat to conventional medicine and gradually declined in use.
Homeopathy re-emerged in the late 1970s. In a span of just four years from 1988 to 1992, the homeopathic market doubled from $100 million to $200 million. Market research shows that the sale of homeopathic medicines has grown steadily at the rate of 10 to 20 percent a year during the past decade. Today, the use of homeopathic remedies is very well accepted and growing rapidly. Homeopathic sales in 2008 reached $860 million. Retail sales from natural and mass markets of adult homeopathic medicines were up 6 percent from 2007, as reported by IRI.
Since 1938 all homeopathic medicines included in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States (HPUS) are sold in America as legal drugs. However, they are exempt from a regulation that requires all drugs to provide supporting evidence for safety and efficacy to the FDA. Homeopathic manufacturers, however, must meet criteria set by the FDA in 1998 for the homeopathic manufacturing process.
Today, homeopathy enjoys a respectable status once again. Consumer demand for safer and often better methods of natural treatments has given rise to a growing demand for alternative treatments, including herbal and homeopathic remedies.
Homeopathic Manufacturing Advantages
Homeopathic manufacturing has several important advantages and benefits for consumers, which is why we see a positive trend towards homeopathic remedies. These advantages include:
- Many conventional medicines are known to have serious side effects such as medication for blood pressure or pain killers. In contrast, homeopathic medicine has no side effects.
- Unlike conventional medication, homeopathic treatment is able to offer more than just temporary relief from symptoms. It is often able to treat the root cause of ailments and provide longer lasting relief.
- Homeopathic remedies are known to be gentle and effective and can be used to treat a variety of common ailments as well as specific health conditions.
- Homeopathic remedies offer self-care treatments without a prescription. There is also no danger of over-dosing as is the case with synthetic medicine.
- Low cost of homeopathic medications.
- There is wider awareness of homeopathy options and its scientific support being created by The National Center of Complementary and Alternative Therapies (NIH).
- The Internet provides a growing number of homeopathic manufacturing articles. This provides an education platform to inform the public about various homeopathic treatment options.
In the light of these developments, homeopathic manufacturing trends have seen a growing rise in popularity over the past decade.
User-Friendly Homeopathic Manufacturing Trends
Homeopathic manufacturing today involves blended formulations being sold OTC as self-care treatments. These formulas contain a combination of several different homeopathic medicines commonly used to treat a specific illness. Through such formulas, homeopathy is no longer limited to the administration of a homeopath. It’s a user-friendly market and these combination formulas have shown successful results.
Consumers use homeopathic remedies to effectively treat a number of ailments relating to:
- Joint health
- Auto-immune diseases
- Allergic conditions
- Sleep disorders
- Infections – viral and bacterial
- Women’s health issues
- Men’s health issues
- Cardiovascular health
- Digestive and immune health
- Skin conditions
- Respiratory health
- Urinary system disorders
The British Medical Journal (Feb. 1991) published a meta-analysis of clinical studies showing that homeopathic medicines are particularly effective in treating joint pain, migraines, common infections, and allergies. Versatile in its treatment, homeopathic remedies are able to treat short as well as long term illnesses.
The future of homeopathic manufacturing trends is predicted to include an emerging healthcare system brought about by the collaborative efforts of conventional and natural healthcare treatments for the benefit of the patient.