Spring 2012 Supplement Manufacturing Trends
As you prepare your product line for spring, our team would like to remind you to keep a customer-focused approach when formulating your supplements. We understand that for many, this may be easier said than done. With the economy still recovering from a crippling recession and the FDA enforcing tighter restrictions than ever before, keeping the focus on customer service and product quality is no small task, but when put to practice, can produce long-term, sustainable growth for your supplement business.
Our commitment to high-quality manufacturing and innovation in formulations based on consumer trends and market research have always been geared to making your brand the best available option for your customers. With that in mind, this article highlights important product suggestions for your spring 2012 product line.
Spring is generally associated with increased activity, vitality and brings with it a sparkle of fresh hope of new beginnings. Get a head start and cash in on the spring health needs of your customers!
Warmer weather means more outdoor activity and workouts. Warmer spring weather is an invitation for people to enjoy the outdoors again. You'll find more people walking, jogging, gardening, golfing or heading to the gym to get their bodies in shape for the summer season. Consumers are more likely to look for supplements that promote stamina and energy levels and support muscle recovery.
- Product Suggestions: Pre and post-workout supplements, energy drinks, protein powders in assortment of flavors, joint and bone health supplements.
- Science-backed ingredients such as: glutamine, amino acids, creatine, whey protein, l-arginine, guarana, taurine, ginseng, l-carnitine, ginkgo biloba, vitamin D, calcium, glucosamine, chondroitin, green mussels, fish oil.
- Market Research: BCC Research based in Wellesley, MA estimates the global market for sports nutrition will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 24.1 percent by 2013 bringing the global value to around $92 billion. 1 Consumer demand for energy-related products such as drinks and shots grew 136 percent from 2005 to 2009. From 2010 to 2011, Mintel, a market research company based in Chicago, reported a 15.4 percent growth in this sector. 2-3
Spring is the time when your customers want to lose the winter weight 4. People tend to consume more calories, fat and carbohydrates in the winter months and want to shed those extra pounds as soon as the New Year begins. While trends show that consumers are less likely to fall for get-slim trick products with slick advertising campaigns, a well-formulated weight loss product supported by scientific research is more than likely to generate sales.
- Product Suggestions: fat burners, appetite suppressants, carb-blockers, herbal tea powders.
- Science-backed Ingredients: white bean extract, bitter orange, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), green tea extract, fiber, apple cider.
- Market Research: The global weight loss market is estimated to be valued at $586.3 billion by 2014, according to a report from MarketsandMarkets, a global market research and consulting company based in Texas. 5
Spring cleaning the body. Spring cleaning is synonymous with getting rid of the old, dusting, cleaning, sanitizing and basically de-cluttering your life. Many people coincide spring cleaning activities with a systemic body detox. Cleanse and detox products eliminate unhealthy pathogens and toxins from the body while optimizing the functions of systemic organs. Detox is also popular before starting a diet to prime digestive functions. As healthy digestion takes place, many consumers find increased weight loss results from their individual weight loss regiments.
- Product Suggestions: detox aids, liver supplements, pro- and pre-biotic combinations, as well other digestive aids.
- Science-backed ingredients to include: Herbal teas, senna, milk thistle, psyllium, probioitic strains.
- Market Research: The number of food and drink products with detoxification claims has increased fourfold since 2003 according to Mintel International. Health is no longer limited to healthy diets and nutrition but encompasses a more holistic view of wellness which includes physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being. Detox products are perceived to make users feel healthier, more relaxed and alert and trends show that Americans are becoming more and more obsessed with detox. 6-7
Spring is in the air, but so is pollen! Allergies such as hay fever are common during spring as the weather changes and flowers get ready to bloom and disburse pollen in the air. Common symptoms of spring allergies are the sniffles, itchy, watery eyes, runny noses and sneezing. You can offer your customers protection against these allergies through well-formulated anti-allergic supplements.
- Product suggestions: Anti-allergic supplements.
- Science-backed ingredients to include: Vitamin C, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), nettle, lycopene, magnesium, quercetin, glucomannan, licorice root, pinebark and butterbur extracts.
- Market research: About 25 million adults and children suffer from hay fever during the spring months, according to a 2010 National Health Survey from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). This accounts for almost 10 percent of American children (aged 17 and under). In 2004, a ConsumerLab survey reported that 25 percent of the respondents used allergy supplements. 8-9
Delivery Systems for Your Spring Supplements
Supplement companies may choose from a number of nutrient delivery system such as tablets, capsules, softgels, powders and herbal teas. Your choice of delivery system will be based on the following factors:
- Ingredients - Formulators will help you choose an optimal delivery system based on the formula content. Oil-based nutrients like CoQ10 require a softgel delivery system; light-sensitive ingredients require opaque capsules. Softgels also are used when formulations contain ingredients that have an offensive taste, color or odor.
- Maximum absorption and quick dissolution of all active ingredients. (e.g. liquids and oral strips)
- Target consumer market
- Consumer convenience - Portability and ease of delivery are key factors. (e.g. capsules are easier to swallow than tablets and both tablets and capsules offer more portability than liquids.)
- Taste - This is especially important for powders, liquids, chewable tablets and herbal teas.
- Visual appeal - Capsules and softgels create more visual appeal than tablets, especially as capsules come in a variety of vibrant colors.
- Maximize shelf life - Capsules may be able to retain stability of bioactive ingredients for up to 2 years after the date of manufacturing.
- Type of packaging solution required.
Technology continues to develop and enhance consumer convenience, greater cost-effectiveness and efficiency of absorption. For example, enteric coating allows for digestion to take place in the lower intestines to avoid unpleasant odors and reflux.
Get Your Product Line Ready for Spring 2012!
Spring is soon approaching so it's important to be prepared! Choose the products you want to manufacture or improve an existing formula with the optimal delivery systems of your choice. Nutricap Labs can help you get your product line prepared for your customer demands conveniently, cost-effectively and quickly. Check out our customized manufacturing solutions from in-house label design and packaging solutions to order fulfillment and drop shipping services. Our GMP-certified facility with advanced, state-of-the-art equipment and a team of experts will help you quickly and efficiently produce products for your spring lineup. Take the first step now by requesting a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote or call (800) 494-6154 to speak to one of our product advisors.
1. Sports Nutrition and High Energy Supplements: The Global Market, BCC Research, September 2008, http://www.bccresearch.com/report/sports-nutrition-energy-supplements-fod043a.html
2. Energy drink market experiences a jolt in sales, but stalls in attracting new customers, reports Mintel, August 2010, Mintel Press Release. http://www.mintel.com/press-centre/press-releases/584/energy-drink-market-experiences-a-jolt-in-sales-but-stalls-in-attracting-new-customers-reports-mintel
3. Energy Drinks and Energy Shots - US - August 2011, Mintel, http://oxygen.mintel.com/sinatra/oxygen/display/id=542980
4. Frost & Sullivan: Rising Obesity Rates Drive the Global Weight Management Ingredients Market.
5. Global Weight Loss and Gain Market (2009 - 2014), MarketandMarkets, http://www.salisonline.org/market-research/global-market-for-weight-loss-worth-us586-3-billion-by-2014/
6. Time to re-jig health food strategies, August 4, 2005, Nutra-Ingredients, http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Consumer-Trends/Time-to-re-jig-health-food-strategies
7. The Cult of the Cleanse, Inside America's Obsession with Cleansing, Details 2009 Conde Nast Digital, http://healthyliving.msn.com/
8. Consumer Lab Survey Report 2004: http://www.consumerlab.com/news/Survey_By_ConsumerLab_com/3_2_2004/
9. Summary Health Statistics for U.S. Children: National Health Interview Survey, 2010, December 2011, Series 10, Number 250, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_250.pdf