Summer 2011 Supplement Manufacturing Trends
As the economy continues to recover and businesses begin to flourish once again, the nutraceutical industry is booming now more than ever. Tighter FDA regulations are instilling more consumer trust in the dietary supplement industry and the spending capacity of consumers has improved. Along with this come new opportunities to provide your customers with the kind of nutritional supplements they are looking for in the summer of 2011. Now is the perfect time to consider enhancing your product line with strategically developed supplements substantiated by science and research.
According to the Nutrition Business Journal, sales of vitamins and dietary supplements grew 9.2 percent to $3 billion in 2010 in the food, drug and mass merchandisers (FDM) channel and 4.2 percent in the natural channel reaching $750 million. The recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, reported a 26 percent rise in the use of dietary supplements since 1994. 1 With such a ripe and ready market, supplement business owners can consider a wide range of high-quality nutritional supplements for promoting basic health as well as supplements that promote condition-specific health benefits.
What supplements are hot this summer? Here's our list:
Sports supplements - Summer is the time people want to shed extra pounds and get their body into shape. Whether the goal is to grow bigger muscles, be stronger, faster or just be in better shape, supplements can help them achieve those goals.
- Protein supplements have a positive effect on athletic performance, muscle strength and growth as well as enhance muscle maintenance and fat loss. If you don't have a protein powder/shake in your product line, or you'd like to improve your protein blend formula by offering a range of delicious flavors, discuss your options with the product advisors at Nutricap Labs. 2
- Creatine is an amino acid that the body produces naturally, but it is also found in high protein foods such as red meat. As a supplement, creatine can help develop lean muscle and provide users with the extra energy needed to complete strenuous workouts while reducing muscle soreness after workouts. 3 Creatine supplements are generally manufactured as powders, tablets, capsules or in liquid forms. The powder form, manufactured in a variety of flavors, is the most popular.
- Green Tea products are popular all-year round, but with more people wanting to lose weight this time of year green tea products have potential for blockbuster sales. According to a recent report from HerbalGram, a magazine of the American Botanical Society, green tea ranked 4th after cranberry, soy and garlic in a list of top-20 best-selling herbal supplements in 2010 (mainstream/FDM and Natural Products channels). 4 Green tea supplements, in the form of liquid concentrates or capsules, are popular because of their multiple benefits for health. 5
The sales of sports nutrition supplements grew 22 percent in 2010 reaching $3.6 million in the natural channel. The FDM channel, however, posted a 25 percent drop, according to Nutrition Business Journal. 6
Fish Oil Supplements - Sales of omega 3 supplements have grown exponentially and are currently positioned as the number one consumer supplement choice according to an online survey conducted by ConsumerLab in February 2011. 7-8 The strongest evidence from research, however, is in the area of cardiovascular health. Based on this preponderous scientific evidence supporting omega-3s, in 2004, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) amended the qualified health claim to state that omega-3 consumption may reduce coronary heart disease, extending its usage to both dietary supplements and conventional foods. 9 If you don't have a fish oil supplement in your product line, now is the time to add this popular supplement!
Supplements to boost immunity - Summer is the season for swimming, camping and vacations! It's also the time when flu viruses and infectious diseases spread quickly. According to the National Campus Association, 6 million campers attend summer camps each year! 10 An American Express Co. survey reported 59 percent of the people surveyed said they were going on a summer vacation this year, up 8 percent from the previous year (2010). 11 You can provide your customers with a wide range of immune supplement options to enhance their immunity this summer.
Trendwatch 2011, presented by SPINS, a market research company based in Schaumburg, IL, predicts that vitamin and supplement products that boost immunity will continue to show growth in sales, particularly ingredients such as medicinal mushrooms, echinacea, astragalus, and prebiotic and probiotic foods. 12 In a recent issue, HerbalGram reported that cranberry was the top-selling herbal single in the FDM channel in 2010, according to sales figures from SymphonyIRI Group, a market research company headquartered in Chicago, IL. 13 Cranberry supplements possess anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. 14
Supplements to Promote Digestive Health
Junk food, fast foods and summer are inseparable companions that typically lead to a variety of digestive complaints during this time of year. Consumers are becoming increasingly aware of digestive aids and enzymes and how they play an important role in priming digestive health. According to the Nutrition Business Journal, prebiotic and probiotic supplements sales recorded a 41.6 percent increase in the FDM channel and a 10.3 percent increase in the natural channel. 15
Antioxidants - Although research is still inconclusive, a higher intake of antioxidants is associated with reduced risk of diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular, osteoporosis, etc. Since antioxidants work at the basic cellular level, to keep free radicals in check and guard healthy cell functions, a regular dose of antioxidants is believed to delay aging and extend life spans. Top superfruit trends according to SPINS Trends 2011 are the Maqui berry, capuacu, and yum berries. Resveratrol, cocoa powder, grape seed extracts, lycopene, astaxanthin, bilberries, pomegranate extract, and zeaxanthin are other well-known antioxidants that have popular consumer appeal. 16 Antioxidant supplements may be manufactured in a variety of delivery forms including capsules, tablets, powders, teas and ready-to-drink (RTD) beverages.
A Supplement Manufacturer Experienced in High-Quality Manufacturing
With more consumers interested in supplements that are backed up by proven research, a high-quality, experienced supplement manufacturer can help you formulate products that meet current consumer demands in the summer. Innovation is the key and consumers are always on the lookout for innovative ideas in product development. Whether you are thinking of improving an old formula, adding new supplements to your product line or simply wanting to re-create your labels to give them a more attention-grabbing look, a high-quality, experienced supplement manufacturer can help you get the job done quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively.
For more information on how the team at Nutricap Labs can help you formulate your own product line, call (800) 494-6154 to speak to a product advisor or submit your request to receive a free quote from us in 48 hours or less!
1. State of the Supplements Industry 2010, Nutrition Business Journal, http://newhope360.com/supplements/state-supplements-industry-2010?page=1.
2. (Exercise, protein metabolism, and muscle growth. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2001 Mar;11(1):109-32. PMID: 11255140 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11255140.
3. High-energy phosphate metabolism in the exercising muscle of patients with peripheral arterial disease, Vasa. 2008 Aug;37(3):199-210. PMID: 18690587 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18690587.
4. Herb Sales Continue Growth - Up 3.3% in 2010, HerbalGram, Issue: 90 Page: 64-67 American Botanical Council, http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue90/MarketReport.html.
5. Green tea, Medline Plus, National Institutes of Health.
6. State of the Supplements Industry 2010, Nutrition Business Journal, http://newhope360.com/supplements/state-supplements-industry-2010?page=1.
7. Fish Oil, Medline Plus, National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/993.html
8. 2010 Consumer Lab Supplement Survey Results, February 8, 2011. http://antiagingnutritionnews.com/blog/1693/2010-consumer-lab-supplement-survey-results
9. FDA Announces Qualified Health Claims for Omega-3 Fatty Acids, September 8, 2004. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2004/ucm108351.htm
10. National Camp Association, Inc. (n.d.). Trends in Summer Camp. Retrieved May 28, 2010, from National Camp Association
11. Survey Shows Further Comeback In Summer Vacation Plans, http://in.advfn.com/news_Survey-Shows-Further-Comeback-In-Summer-Vacation-Plans_47566665.html
12. SPINS Trendwatch 201
13. Herb Sales Continue Growth - Up 3.3% in 2010, HerbalGram, Issue: 90 Page: 64-67 American Botanical Council, http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue90/MarketReport.html.
14. Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections, Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(2):CD001321. PMID: 15106157. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15106157
15. State of the Supplements Industry 2010, Nutrition Business Journal, http://newhope360.com/supplements/state-supplements-industry-2010?page=1).
16. Medline Plus, National Institutes of Health, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/antioxidants.html#cat42.